How can you adapt your driving to winter conditions?
In winter, no one wants to start their day swerving off the road or in a collision with the vehicle in front of them at a traffic light! To avoid unfortunate incidents or tragic accidents, there are only a few basic rules of thumb to follow. And even if these may seem obvious to you, you should know that many motorists neglect to apply them in Quebec! Here are 8 essential rules to keep in mind:
- Start braking early and gently, especially in busy intersections;
- Keep a greater distance from other vehicles, especially on highways;
- Avoid overtaking if the road is snowy or covered with black ice;
- Turn on your hazard warning lights and pull over to the shoulder of the road when visibility is zero (or near zero);
- Leave early in your daily commute to avoid the temptation to drive too fast;
- Be careful, courteous and patient with maintenance and snow removal vehicles;
- Never use cruise control during a snow or ice storm;
- Reduce your speed at all times, even if your vehicle has the best winter tires in the world!
For a vehicle that can withstand the rigours of winter, visit your Mister Muffler repair shop!