How to handle strong winds when driving
Strong winds can cause you to lose control of your vehicle, especially when driving on roads with flat fields on either side. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe on the road when it feels like the wind wants to push you out of your lane.
- Know your vehicle. Some vehicles are more sensitive to high winds than others because they have more lateral surface area. For example, you need to be extra careful when driving SUVs and minivans in windy conditions.
- Keep your eyes on the road. Strong gusts of wind can break branches off nearby trees or throw debris and garbage into your path. It’s therefore important to stay alert to potential hazards when driving in high winds.
- Hold on tightly to the steering wheel. Firmly grip the steering wheel with both hands, especially when passing another vehicle or driving on an open stretch of road. A sudden gust of wind can occur at any time and cause you to lose control.
- Reduce your speed. Slow down to help improve traction and maintain control of your vehicle.
- Increase your following distance. Maintain a safe following distance from other road users to ensure you have plenty of time to react in the event of an emergency.
No matter the road conditions, keeping your vehicle in good condition will help ensure you stay safe on the road. Visit your local Mister Muffler for professional mechanical maintenance.